Welcome to the trail!

This is a roundabout story of one family who's traveled the trails from dust, to dirt, to the fast lane. I happen to be the teller of our tales. Thanks for joining us for the trip.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Speaking of Early Routes

Here we go in 2010- a road yet to be traveled except for these early minutes of the new year. So far, so good.

Back to my book and the past. My people and I get to be the voices in my chronicle of times and lives, and at times, they (my people) may rue the day I became one of theirs, wishing I had kept my mouth shut and their lives, too. On the other hand, some could possibly feel exonerated through my revelations.

Their letters, books, and logs of all sorts of trivia and trials, victories and heart-wrenching defeats, might make one wonder if saving penned testimonies serves a good or regretful purpose. I'm certainly wondering about all the journals I've kept through the years. No decision yet on that one.

The truth'll set you free, so they say. I toast freedom on the cusp of a New Year and tomorrow, Margaret Lynn Lewis, my great times six grandmother, takes the lead in my cast of travelers as she reveals her truth from her journal circa 1700's. Here's what was etched on her husband, John Lewis', tomb in Staunton, Virginia:

“In 1732, John Lewis with his family, found a home in the then wilds of the Shenandoah Valley, where he resided for thirty years, then died, and found a grave where he had found a home. His tomb, two miles East of Staunton, is on a hill overlooking the Valley of Lewis River, and about three hundred yards from Fort Lewis, reared by himself, a portion of which structure still stands. His grave is marked by a marble slab, six feet in height, and three inches in thickness, on which is the following inscription:

‘Here lie the remains of
John Lewis,
Who slew the Irish Lord, settled Augusta County,
Located the town of Staunton
And furnished five sons to fight the battles of
The American Revolution,-
He was the son of Andrew Lewis, Esq., and Mary Calhoun,
And was born in Donegal County, Ireland, 1678
And died in Virginia Feb. 1st, 1762
He was a brave man, a true patriot, and a firm friend
Of liberty throughout the world.’ ”

More on "Liberty" and such in the next posting when John's wife speaks.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment